Monday, August 13, 2012

happy birthday, brendan

a note to brendan from each of us on the eve of his first birthday, a gift that will be saved for him and added to with each year...

brendan,
as i sit here and think back on the past year, my heart is filled with so much emotion.  my world was forever changed at 12:27am on august 14, 2011, and when i looked at you for the first time i knew i would never be the same.

being your mom is the greatest, toughest, and most rewarding thing i have ever done.  i knew i loved your dad more than anyone, or anything, in the world, but when God gave us you, i realized i had an entire new way to love that i did not even know existed.

there are so many moments that come to mind as i think back on your first year...
-our first of many cuddles after you were released from the nursery
-your first smile
-those chubby cheeks making their appearance
-watching you learn to hold your head up steadily...then, sit up on your own...then, crawl and crawl faster...then, pull up and walk across the furniture
-your hugs...gosh, they are simply the best
-the way you cannot even contain your excitement for the things that really get you going:  elmo, bathtime, FOOD, the garage opening (you LOVE going places)
-that deep belly laugh that comes out when you are really tickled about something
-having to tell you no for the first time as you became quite the explorer around the house...and the sad reaction as you learned what that word meant
-finding you playing with your bath toys after you quietly crawled down the hall without us seeing
-your love for dog, duck, and now monkey - your closest companions
-watching you watch your cousins run and play and wanting so badly to join in
-watching you swim in grandma and papa's pool for the first time
-taking you to the beach for the first time
-your first (second, third, and fourth) plane rides

you bring such a smile to my face everyday.  i am so incredibly lucky to be your mom.  happy birthday, sweet boy.

love,
mommy
two days old
almost one year old
Brendan,

As I write this I'm trying to come up with words that will let you know what you mean to me. I have realized that such words do not exist.
When your mother and I decided to have a baby, we had no control over what kind of baby we would have. All we could do was ask God for you to be healthy. God did better than that as He so often does.
God chose you to be our son! He formed you in your mother's womb and He gave you life.
I never knew it was possible to love someone the way that I love you. My love for you helps me appreciate even more the fact that God sacrificed His son for us.
You have opened my eyes and my heart in a way I didn't know existed. No matter what happens in this life you will always have my love and support.
Your first year of life brought many smiles and a few sleepless nights but it has been the best year of my life. The time I get to spend with you and your mother is worth more than anything this world has to offer.
I don't know what the future holds for you but I pray that you will follow God and always make Him the center of your life.
I'm so blessed to be a part of your life.

Love,
Dad

2 comments:

  1. Brendan, you are one blessed little boy! You are so lucky to not only have a Mommy & Daddy who love you so much but, a whole family who thinks you are wonderful. You have made me look at the world through the eyes of a Grandma and through these eyes, I have seen the sweetest boy I know grow up so fast and strong and smart....my cup runneth over!

    ReplyDelete